To be able to use the studios you need to have attended an EMS course. Guest composers and members of FST (Föreningen Svenska Tonsättare) automatically have access to the studios, though an introduction to the studio you want to work in may be necessary.
To work in the studios it is advisable to be familiar with the Pro Tools, Logic X, Reaper or Ableton Live software.
Elektronmusikstudion, EMS, has 7 studios with the following setups:
- Studio 1: ProTools 12 HDX and a 13-channel Genelec sound system, arranged in an 8-channel array at listening level and a 5-channel array in the ceiling.
- Studio 2: ProTools 12 HDX and a 13-channel Genelec sound system, arranged in an 8-channel array at listening level and a 5-channel array in the ceiling,
as well as a quadraphonic Meyer system.
- Studio 3: ProTools 12 HDX, Audient ASP008 preamp, a small Buchla 200 system and 2-channel Ino Audio sound system as well as a pair of Genelec 8341 near-field monitors.
- Studio 4: ProTools 12 HDX and 4/8-channel Ino Audio sound system, with two main speakers and six small surround speakers. This system can also be used as an 8-channel system, though calibrated as a 4-channel. Two Genelec 8341 near-field monitors are installed in the studio. Studio 4 is home to our Buchla 200 modular synthesizer, which can interface with the studio computer/other devices through a Buchla 225e MIDI/USB Decoder Module. Studio 4 is also equipped with an Audient ASP008 preamp.
- Studio 5: Recording room shared between studios 1 and 4. The recording room has eight outputs to Studio 1 and four outputs to Studio 4.
- Studio 6: ProTools 12, Avid Omni interface and 2-channel Ino Audio sound system. Studio 6 is home to our Serge modular synthesizer which can be interfaced with from the studio computer through a Kenton Pro 2000 mk II MIDI-CV-interface. A pair of Genelec 8341 near-field monitors are also installed in Studio 6.
- Studio 7: Pro Tools 12 and Final Cut X, RME Fireface sound card and a pair of Genelec 8341 speakers.
Composers can connect their own hardware through Firewire/USB or directly to our sound systems in all studios. Our main softwares are ProTools, Ableton Live, Reaper, Logic X, SuperCollider, Max/MSP and Waves, Izotope, Ircam and GRM plugins.